JellyPages.com

Saturday, November 7, 2009

End of his innocence....

It seems like just yesterday Declan was entering this world. He was such a perfect baby. Not a mark on him from the delivery. As he has grown, it has been clear to Sean and I that he is very smart. How many 7 year olds do you know that can argue a point and actually prove YOU wrong? He has always been a polite, level-headed boy. Always does what you ask of him and rarely puts up a stink about anything. (He even eats everything on his plate every day, even if he doesn't like it. "There are children in this world who have no food, why should I waste mine." He would always say.) He really is a wonderful boy.....until today.
Sean downloaded the original Super Mario Bros. game onto our Wii for the boys to play. After about 30 mins. it was time to put the little boys down for a nap, so that ment quiet play, in their room, for the big boys. Declan was not happy that he could no longer play the Wii and started giving Sean a little lip. Sean told him if he didn't stop, he would not get to play Wii again. Declan was livid, blurted out to Sean "You make me so mad" and then, with all his strength, punched Sean right in the stomach. Sean was shocked....he yelled at Declan and grounded him to his room for the rest of the day.

I could see the pain on Seans face. He was truly sad. Not because Deco hurt him, but because he commited the act of trying to hurt his father. He realized then that he is not his sweet little boy anymore. Sean even looked online to see if that behavior was normal. I have never seen such rage in him. I don't even know where it came from. I'm still so shocked myself. I really don't know how to respond to it. Its like he's not the same child anymore. We try to shelter our children from violence in the world. We home school our boys to keep them from learning the bad habits other children do/know. Somehow, he still learned the behavior. I'm not sure how to deal with the situation, as we have never been faced this this behavior. If any of you blogging Moms and Dads have any advice/experiences, please feel free to give your advice.

2 comments:

  1. I don't have any great advice as we are experiencing somewhat of the same thing with our 4 year old. He started preschool this year and while he loves it and we love that he has been learing there, we don't love what he is learning from some of the students. Suddenly there is lots of back talk and spitting. Spitting!
    So I am here to say I know what you are going through...and i wish I had an answer for you. I'd love to hear what other moms and dads out there think too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes outbursts like that can be diet-related. Maybe he ate something that didn't agree with him, or that has caused that reaction. There was a program on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation a few weeks ago about children with that problem.

    It must be very disheartening for both you and your hubby. And I would think it would be a bit frightening too.

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to read comments. Please keep them tasteful as I will not allow insults to myself or others! God Bless!