JellyPages.com

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving to you All!!!

This Thanksgiving, we have so much to be greatful for. We have our 6th new baby, Lizzie. She is now 6 weeks old and very healthy! Sean has a wonderful job that pays all our bills and gives us plenty to spare. I can remember many Thanksgivings where we didn't know how we were going to afford a turkey and all the trimmings. We have a home, though small as it may be, we can pay the rent every month without worry. We've had many Thanksgivings ruined due to a pending eviction or no home at all. I could ramble about all day with all of our past misfourtunes, but that's not what Thanksgiving is all about, at least not to me. Tomorrow, as we wake up at the crack of dawn, in large part to Lizzie, we will begin our Thanksgiving cooking. As we are making our stuffing and turkey and having mimosas' with homemade quiche, we will be remembering those who have nothing at all. No home, no family, no food, nothing. We will say a prayer and ask God to help those less fortunate. Its also a time for us to remember our families past and present.

Thanksgiving was always a highlight for me as a child. We spent every Thanksgiving at my Grandparents house. As soon as we opened their front door, we were welcomed by the sound of Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, and Gene Autry singing carols. The smell of turkey and stuffing filled the house, as did laughter coming from the kitchen. I remember a warm happy feeling there as a child.

Thanksgiving is very different for me now. My Grandparents are no longer with us, and the traditions are very different today as well. As a child, we would always watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and drink hot chocolate. My children don't enjoy the parade. Instead the house is filled with the sound of football. My Mother always made an apple pie to bring to the dinner, and Grandma made everything else. Today, Sean and I search for the best recipes on Food Network and Epicurious to make for our Thanksgiving dinner. We get up very early and make everything from scratch. I even make a wonderful Cornbread, Cranberry, and Sausage stuffing all on my own. We order our pumpkin and apple pie from Marie Callenders. Grandma would decorate the house for Christmas just after Thanksgiving, we have our house decorated a week before Thanksgiving. As a child, we would all sit together for dinner and enjoy Grandmas' semi-homemade feast. Everything on our menu, except the pies, are made from scratch. After all is done and the kitchen is cleaned, we all sit down to watch our first showing of A Christmas Story, as a family. I had never even heard of the movie as a child. That was a tradition Sean brought from his childhood. Instead, Mom, Dad and I would go home and go to bed to get up at the crack of dawn the next morning to go Christmas shopping with my Grandmother and Aunt Rene. Now, my husband gets up at the crack of dawn to go open his store for the crazy Christmas shoppers.


I hope my children have as fond of memories of Thanksgiving as I did as a child. They never got to meet their Great Grandparents, but their memories are alive in our home and the stories are still very much a part of our lives. I want to wish each and every one of you a very happy and safe Thanksgiving. Try to remember what this day is all about and the memories you shared with your families. It really does make a difference. Happy Thanksgiving, from my family to yours.......

God Bless!

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! Your new Thanksgiving traditions sound great and I am sure your children will remember it fondly.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!! Thanks for stopping by and saying HI. Nice to meet a new face out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!!
    I also enjoy thinking of all the family traditions of my childhood, and trying to make wonderful ones for my children as well. I hope you all have a wonderful day =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving to you ! Indeed it was a beautiful post ever ....Here we celabrate the Chuseok instead the Thanksgiving...same...ok...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a sweet story. We dc not celebrate Thanksgiving here in SA and I think we are the poorer for that. Hope your day was all you planned it to be and more. Happy belated Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to read comments. Please keep them tasteful as I will not allow insults to myself or others! God Bless!