JellyPages.com

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Family

As I was getting ready for school this morning, I realized I never speak much about my family. I'm not talking about Sean and the kiddos, obviously I talk about them all the time. I'm talking about my Parents, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncle....you get the idea. So I am dedicating this post to mine and Seans' family!



I grew up in Phoenix, AZ. I am an only child. This is a picture of my wonderful Mom! She was married twice. My biological father, whom I've never met, was an AH!!! Please excuse my language. They got divorced when I was just a baby. My Mother married my awsome Step-Dad Ray, when I was only 3. He raised me as his own, and as far as I'm concerned, he is my only Father. They just celebrated their 29th Wedding Anniversary this past October!

My Mom is one of 4 children. My Grandparents, rest their souls, had 1 boy and three girls. Mom is the oldest girl. Mom was born in New York and mostly raised in New Jersey. They moved to AZ when she was 16 or 17. Grandma, the beautiful women she was, was a housewife/homemaker. Grandpa was in the USCG and served in WW2. He was on a ship in Normandy. He was an offical photographer. He never talked about the war to me or anyone else for that matter, (it was a sore subject in my family) so I don't know much about what he did. After the war, he was a police officer. He quit that because he was bored with the desk work. He was a real estate agent as well. I don't know much about that either. He was a manager for a pet shop and a print shop. The last job I remember him having, he owned some sort of data research company. He loved to help people who didn't have the means to help themselves. That's pretty much all I knew about him.

These are my Aunts, Rene and Doreen. Rene has been very active in my life since the day I was born. She lived with my Grandparents until they passed away. I have many fond memories with Rene. She has taken me to Disney Land, Sea World, the beach, you name it. To this day, she is my very favorite Aunt and always will be!!
I really don't know much about Aunt Doreen. She lived in Tucson for most of my life and I only saw her and her husband at Christmas. Thanks to the wonderful social networking technoligy we have today, we are finally getting to know each other.


Both of my Aunts have been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Doreen was diagnosed almost a year ago and has undergone radiation treatment. So far, so good. Rene was just diagnosed with Breast Cancer a little over a month ago. She has just started radiation treatment. My Grandmother had two sisters that has Breast Cancer. Aunt Honey had it for 7 years and eventually passed from bone cancer. Aunt Tecla, to the best of my knowledge, passed away from Breast Cancer as well. With that history, I have been harping on my Mother to get checked as well.

Sean's Mother, who lives in Maine, also has Breast Cancer. (We think) Sean and his Mother do not have a very good relationship. In fact, they haven't spoken in years. Long story short, Sean has a hard time trusting/forgiving his Mother for her past mistakes. I guess she chose her husband over her children one too many times for his taste. He also has a little sister named Courtney whom he hasn't spoken to in years as well. I can understand why he won't talk to his Mother, (though I don't agree with his decision, I must respect it and not interfer.) but his sister, I don't get. They had such a close relationship growing up together. In fact, they were very close until I came into the picture. It bothers me, and I can't help but think it's my fault. Sean says, in some ways, it was partially my fault, but is inevitable. Every 6 months or so, I bring up his Mother, in hopes that he will give in and just call her. Instead, he becomes irritated, and rambles on about all the bad things she did to him and his sister. He ends up very angery and lashes out "That's why I want nothing to do with her." *Sigh*, can you blame me for trying.

Seans Father is another sad story. He and Sean's Mother divorced when he was in college. (I think) They seperated when he was a boy. He took it pretty hard. I guess he climbed into a tree and refused to come down for some time. His father has his own share of problems. Depending on who you talk to, he was either abusive or just a little messed up, but had a good heart. The man had a drinking problem, that I do know. From what Sean says, he would rip the shirt off his back for just about anyone. He made some pretty terrible decisions in his life that effected both Sean, his Mother, and his sister. Last we had heard, his Father had suffered a diabetec seizure in a park, and was pretty much brain damaged. He was put into a state hospital years ago. Sean tried to find him a few years back, but no luck. I fear he may have passed away. I wish there was a way I could find out for his sake.

Family is very important to me. When my Grandparents passed away, I was crushed. I don't know what I would/will do when my Parents pass away. I really wish Sean felt the same. One day, they won't be there, and all the things or questions you wanted to say or ask will not be possible. I pray that some day Sean and his family can put aside their differences and build a relationship again. We have 6 beautiful children that have no idea they even have another Grandmother or an Aunt Courtney. They are the ones who are suffering.


2 comments:

  1. Indeed you have a very Beautiful Mom..."Wonderful Mom"....Nice picture...

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to read comments. Please keep them tasteful as I will not allow insults to myself or others! God Bless!