For those of you who aren't familiar with Setons Catholic Homeschool, here is a brief rundown of what a 1st grader is learning.
1. Religion 1 for Young Catholics (Comes with textbook, lesson plan, coloring books, and three Catholic readers. Grade given by Setons'.)
2. Mathematics 1 for Young Catholics. (Comes with 2 textbooks and lesson plan. Grade given by Setons')
3. American History for Young Catholics Grade 1. (Comes with textbook, Maps, charts and graphs text book, lesson plan and two reader, Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton and Blesses Kateri Tekakwitha. Graded by parent)
4. Science 1 for Young Catholics. (Comes with textbook and lesson plan. Graded by parent.)
5. English 1 for Young Catholics. (Comes with textbook, and lesson plan. Graded by Setons')
6. Spelling 1 for Young Catholics. (Comes with textbook and lesson plan. Graded by Setons')
7. Handwriting 1 for Young Catholics. (Comes with textbook, writing tablet, and lesson plan. Graded by Setons')
8. Phonics 1 for Young Catholics. (Comes with 2 textbooks, three readers, and lesson plan. Graded by Setons'.)
9. PE (Comes with lesson plan, graded by parent)
10. Music (Comes with CD of 24 Catholic Songs for Children and Lyrics. Graded by parent.)
Some subjects like Math, Phonics, English, Spelling, and Religion come with an end of term test that your child must pass for their final grade. I looked over the tests and was pleased that everything on these tests, Declan could answer without a second guess. So I guess the time gap didn't really effect him. The only requirement in our state for home schooling, is that the child must complete 180 days worth of schooling for the entire school year. That includes field trips. It doesn't matter how long it takes, just that its all completed.
A parent has three choices on how they wish to submit their childs work. The easiest is to simply submit all paperwork and tests through the mail. You can also submit grades on their website or scan your childs work to there grading department. I don't currently have a working scanner, so I will be mailing it. It does take longer to get your childs final grades and report card that way, but Sean is too cheap to go out and buy me a new scanner...lol. So, here are a couple of pictures of Declan and Cian that I took in school yesterday!
Declan in Handwriting
Cian dressing his Joey stick man.