JellyPages.com

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Kitchen Remodel


This week has been crazy. I'll start from the beginning.....

2 Fridays ago, I didn't feel like cooking dinner, so I popped a 4 cheese lasagna in the oven. At the end of the cooking, I needed to take the top off and let it cook for 15 more minutes. I noticed the oven wasn't very hot anymore, but thought nothing of it. 15 minutes later, the oven was cool and my lasagna was just warm. I looked to see if I had turned off the oven...nope, it was still on but not heating up. I tried turning it off and back on, nothing..... I was so mad. The lasagna stopped cooking sometime in the middle. Now what was I going to make the kids for dinner. Sean told me to call our landlord and let her know. She said to call the gas company. Unfortunately, they would not be able to come out until the following Friday....joy.

 I soon realized, I do most of my cooking with the oven. It has been a challenge to cook without it. So, last Friday rolled around and the gas company was out. The tech looked in our oven with a mirror as he turned it on......nothing. He said the heating coil was shot. So I had to call the landlord back. She said she would have someone over to look at the damage. Gilbert, the same guy that put in our carpet, tile, and mounted the HDTV on the wall showed up within 10 minutes of getting off the phone with the landlord. He looked at it and called her back...."Ya, the oven is toast, they need a new one." So she had him remove the 20 year old oven....SNAP.....there went the cabinet it was in, when he was trying to remove it. He called her back to come over to the house to look at the damage.

Keiko arrived a few minutes later. Gilbert explained to both of us that the cabinet wasn't made for a double oven, which was what we had. When he tried to remove it, the bottom cracked in half. So he said she should just buy a standard stovetop with a microwave hood. (We currently have the stove built into the counter.) He would build two new small counters, one to go on either side of the oven, with cabinets underneath. He would have to move our fridge to the other side of the wall. He would then remove the stove from the counter top and put in a large butcher block, for a built in cutting board.

So, Monday they came to remove the old cabinets. When they did that they saw that the wall was uneven. They told Keiko that they were going to have to level out the wall and ceiling. So, ALL DAY yesterday, they were hammering, rewiring, sanding, stuckoing, and blasting the wall with more stuco. Today, the oven and microwave arrived and the guys will be back to paint and put in some new tiles. He said it should only take about an hour and a half....ya, right. Tomorrow they will be installing the counters/cabinets, new tile, oven and microwave. He also told Keiko that our other cabinets on the wall were falling off. So they may reattach those tomorrow as well. In the end, it should look really nice and give us more space. Here are a few "before" photos....

This first photo, if you look in the background, you can see the double oven in the cabinet with the fridge on the left. All of that is now gone. The fridge will be moved to the far right. There are also cabinets above the fridge and oven, those were removed as well.

This is the stove built into the counter. That will be gone and a new cutting board block will replace it. Lots more counter space!!!


Here is what they did to the wall. They put in a new light socket at the top of the wall for the microwave and a new gas line at the bottom. The entire wall was plastered and sanded to be somewhat even. Looks pretty gross right now. The fridge will be just below the air vent. I will post pictures of the finished product tomorrow evening!

I can't wait for it to all be finished. I'm kind of tired of having strange men in my house without Sean home. Thank goodness he will be off tomorrow.

Here is a cute picture of Lizzie to counteract all the uglyness....lol.


She's 6 and a half months old.

1 comment:

  1. WOW, you got a new kitchen!! I'm sure it was a total pain in the a** but cool in the end ;)

    Lizzie is beautiful as always!

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to read comments. Please keep them tasteful as I will not allow insults to myself or others! God Bless!