JellyPages.com

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Another legend is gone....

Last night, Andy Rooney 92, passed away due to complications from surgery. He was best know for his 33 years as a commentator on the BEST journalistic show ever 60 Minutes. His little 3-5 minute rants and musings were always entertaining, whether you agreed with them or not.

I remember as a child, I would stay at my grandparents house on the weekends every now and then. Sunday nights Grandpa would park himself in the den and watch 60 Minutes. It was one of his favorite shows and Lord help you if you interrupted him from watching it. As an adult, my husband and I watch it almost every Sunday. It truly is the last reputable journalistic show on TV today. The topics they report are real and important, unlike this eras journalistic ideas (do we really care about Kim Kardashian getting divorced or the Michael Jackson death trial).

 Just a few weeks ago, we watched his last episode and couldn't help but feel a little sad. Is he the first of the last respected journalists to pass on? Lets face it, non of them are getting any younger and I personally don't see any of them being replaced by reputable reporters. The average person watches local news. My husband jokes that if you watched a person watching the local news, you might catch a little drool dripping down their chin. I think that's a bit harsh, but I do see his point. You really do have to be a moron to be interested in anything they report. Here, the Michael Jackson trial and Kim Kardashian divorce takes precedence over the Euro debt crisis and China. Why is that, because the average person got a terrible education and their attention span for real news is 0!!!

I better stop while I'm ahead. I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm just sick and tired of this country not educating our children properly. If the average journalism graduate thinks that celebrity gossip is "real news" I seriously fear for the future of shows like 60 Minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always happy to read comments. Please keep them tasteful as I will not allow insults to myself or others! God Bless!