JellyPages.com

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What I'm thankful for....

It's that time of year again....the holidays! Thanksgiving is tomorrow and this is the first year Sean has had the day before off! I finished off the first term of school Sunday, so the boys and I have this week off. The house is decorated for Christmas (minus the tree). Mary is almost potty trained (except for naps and overnight) and the cooking is half complete! (We decided to semi-cook this year)

We have so much to be thankful for this year. Sean works for a wonderful company that treats and pays us very well. We have a roof over our heads and a vehicle to get us from place to place. Our bellies are always full and there is always clothes on our backs. Our children will have a wonderful Christmas and want for nothing. I would tend to say, our life is pretty comfortable. As I think of how good we have it, I can't help but think of a friend who isn't so lucky this year. They are a family of 5 without an income. Her husband is unable to find work, mostly for medical reasons. They cannot pay there bills or even take their children to see a doctor, for lack of proper health insurance. The holidays are looking pretty grim for their children. Without money, Christmas will be slim to none. As if things couldn't get any worse, they are about to lose their vehicle. Even if her husband were hired tomorrow, how would he get to and from work....

I would like to say I can't imagine how that family feels, but I can. Not so long ago, we were in that same position. Unemployed, broke, homeless and almost without a vehicle, all during the holidays. When you're put in that position, the things you do to survive may not be legal or even right, but you do what you have to do, to save your family. Sometimes you have to put pride aside and ask for help. It took being homeless with four hungry children for us to do so, but we did. I am grateful for my amazing, wonderful Mother who bailed us out not once, or twice, but three times. We are forever in her debt and happily return the favor monthly.

I refer to my family so often, but at the same time I feel sad for my husband. My parents and Aunt are his only family, even though his Mother and Sister are somewhere back east. It has been years since we have seen them and it saddens me to know that they have no idea where we are or that she has so many Grandchildren. However, my husband chooses to keep it that way and I have no say in the matter. I would have liked to have had a sister-in-law, since I am an only child. Courtney, his little sister, is a bright, funny women that reminded me so much of Sean. She could make me laugh like no other. It seems like a lifetime ago, and every holiday and birthday I can't help but think of her. As children they were so close. Now....so far apart. They really have no idea what they're missing...

I really hope my friend and her family have someone they can fall back on in their time of need. We are in the season of hope and faithfulness. Family is most important and sometimes much needed. I am grateful to have a strong bond with my parents and Aunt Rene. In our time of need, they were there for us. As we are for them.  I know I said it before, but I am very thankful for my wonderful family, near and far. So with that, from my family to yours...
Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!! God Bless


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always happy to read comments. Please keep them tasteful as I will not allow insults to myself or others! God Bless!