JellyPages.com

Friday, February 10, 2012

Our "First" Valentine's Day!

I cannot believe it's almost Valentine's Day already. Where does the time go???

Anyone who knows me, knows I have NEVER been a fan of Valentine's Day. It goes back to my early 20s', when I made a lot of mistakes in my life. One being, getting married, ON VALENTINE'S DAY to a man I neither loved nor was attracted to. He was more of an excuse, or a defense in my life. Marrying him put me into a deep depression. For nearly two years, I stopped caring about myself. I let my appearance go. I stopped hanging out with friends and my family. What was worse, no one except my coworkers knew we were married. I had to lie to my family, especially my Mother. It broke her heart when she found out. Little by little, I was dying inside. Until I met my husband. He pulled me out of my depression and gave me the strength and courage I needed to end that farce of a marriage. More then anything, he was a friend and I fell in love with him.

So, even though I was divorced from that man, every time Valentine's Day came around, I wanted nothing to do with it. It would always bring up bad memories, which wasn't fair to Sean, since he had nothing to do with them. He just wanted to do nice, romantic things for me, on the most romantic day of the year. I wouldn't let him. He use to get mad, telling me to forget about the past. Valentine's Day has nothing to do with my marriage to him. I wanted to believe him, but just couldn't bring myself to except it....until this year.

I don't know what changed, but I don't feel that resentment anymore. In fact, I had this overwhelming excitement for the holiday. I wanted to find something special to get Sean this year. After all, this is actually our "first" Valentine's Day...so to speak. So where did I go to do my research....where else but Pinterest. There were so many great ideas, but one stood out the most.

Sean is from Massachusetts, and our first home together was in a small beach town named Hull. (It's actually a dump) Despite having very little money there, we both have fond memories of the little town. We brought home our first child there. Bought our first car there and I even made some wonderful friends whom I am still quite close with. (Love you Malia!!) So what better idea would I choose then a message in a bottle. This website is awesome. There were so many different bottles to choose from. The picture on the left is the one I chose. The rolled up scroll is on antique paper and you can choose to have the edges burned. They have pre-written messages or you can write your own message. I wrote him a poem! You can also have items inserted. I went with the shells and sand. It was packaged in a lovely gold box, tied with a white ribbon. I am so excited and can't wait for him to open it. He even took Tuesday off for me. We are going to have a nice three day weekend with the kids and then put them to bed early Tuesday night for a romantic dinner. I even bought crystal candlesticks and 10 inch white candles. Its a little surprise! I also bought him some cool Red Sox sunglasses and a wooden Celtics sign that reads "Home Sweet Home" for our front door. I know it's a lot for just Valentine's Day, but I have 10+ years to make up for...lol.


1 comment:

I am always happy to read comments. Please keep them tasteful as I will not allow insults to myself or others! God Bless!