JellyPages.com

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Going back to school!

Well, my husband starts school back up on Monday and talked me into taking some online classes with our local community college. I was reluctant at first. I didn't do too well with it 12-13 years ago, but I was also a single mom with a full time job and no transportation except for the city bus in 110 degree weather. I dropped out after only 1 term. (I was taking Eng. 101 and Intro to Physiology, which I failed.)  This time, I am doing it from home, with only 1 class to start, an introduction to college and figuring out what to major in. Sean is taking it as well, it's a requirement for his major, which is History.

I am considering getting my AA in Journalism. Not to do anything with it, just because I love to write and think it might be interesting. I have to go get tested in Math for placement and get my transcript from SCC to fulfill any English requirements, but I can at least start off with the easy classes.

I'm afraid it will be too hard and I won't be able to do the work. I was never a good student in school and only received average grades. At least I have Sean to help me. He is amazing with History, Math and English. (He got mostly straight A's in school and that was without studying. He received a near full scholarship to George Washington University. I just wish he had finished it.) I was going to take one of the History classes he is taking, but I don't think I'm ready for that kind of work yet. This first class is perfect because it's easy and teaches you how to succeed in college. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. Good Luck! I agree that jumping into a History class after years away would probably be a little much. It was definitely an eye-opener for me when I took two classes this summer so I could get my teacher re-certification. I hope it all goes well!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I am already getting myself overwhelmed on our fist 200 word essay, "College Success and why the drop out rate is 50%." I have half of it written, but my husband thinks I'm putting too much thought into it. He said it's just an opinion, not a test.

      Delete
  2. Best of Luck. When I see what my oldest is learning at the high school right now, I wouldn't last a day. He is taking all those hard math classes.

    Any art class out there and I am in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! I know what you mean. My 4th grader is already doing pre-algebra. I can't even figure out fractions. Guess I'm in trouble.

      I'm hoping to get a degree in Journalism or Creative Writing.

      Delete
  3. Arley!! I'm excited for you!! You will do great! I'll pray for blessings for you--it can only be good, right?

    Tom has to help Nicholas (our oldest) with his math, I just can't figure it out. I've got the answers though! (hahah)

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to read comments. Please keep them tasteful as I will not allow insults to myself or others! God Bless!