JellyPages.com

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Taking the Weight Watchers Challenge....Thanks to Jessica Simpson!

I'm not one for "New Year's Resolutions". I've tried them in the past, and usually failed within a week. However this year, Sean brought up the idea of losing weight as a resolution. I am all for losing 10-15lbs. I'd love to be a size 6 or 7 again, but calling it a resolution will just set me up to fail. So, for all intense purposes, we'll call it what it really is, a diet.

I have never been on a diet before. I never felt the need.
After every birth, I had no problem getting back down to my pre-baby weight. For the most part, I did lose all the weight from Sammy, however it didn't stay off this time. I am about 10-15 lbs. heavier than I have ever been and I hate it. I actually put on the weight in the last 6 months or so. (No, I am not pregnant again.) I hate the way I look in the mirror, I hate the way all my clothes fix on me as well. I want to look sexy fit for my husband again. I know he thinks a look great just the way I am, but he has to say that...lol. So I thought, If Jessica Simpson can lose 50 lbs. in 8 months, why can't I loose 15? So, bring it on!

Sean was actually the one to come up with trying Weight Watchers. He tried the Atkins Diet once a year or two ago and almost landed in the hospital. He even tried cutting alcohol from his diet, which did help him loose around 8-10lbs. but without proper dieting, it didn't go any farther. After that, he just gave up until now.

He started his diet last Thursday. He purchased the 3 month online program for $56. You don't have to buy special food, like some diets. You can eat whatever you want, you just follow a point system. They start you off with a small goal and give you X amount of points per day. You also get extra points for the week. You can choose to use them all in one day, spread them out over the week or a few days, or not use them at all. The point is to get you to think about what you're eating. If you decide to eat one of those huge Costco Muffins for breakfast, that's 15 points. There goes a big chunk of your food points for the day. It also helps you to choose good portions that will fill you up until your next meal. If you blow your breakfast points on a cup of Honey Nut Cheerios and 1/2 a cup of milk (5 pts), that's not going to fill you up. The key, eat lots of fruit. Fruit and most veggies are 0 points, so eat away!

I started my diet today. I thought this would be a piece of cake. I hardly eat during the day, so I should have no problem. WRONG! I started the day off with a cup of Honey Nut Cheerios and 1/2 cup of milk. A banana and 1 cup of Cantaloupe and 2 Belvita Breakfast bars. A total of 8 points, out of 26 for the day. I WAS STILL STARVING! My first realization, I eat a tun of grains throughout the day. I never noticed that before. Grains will kill you on this diet. 1 slice of whole grain bread is 3 pts. Granola bars are 3-6 pts. I lived off of those things. If nothing else, this diet has taught me that grains are the enemy. Don't get me wrong, you need some grains, but in small portions.

By lunchtime, I was ravenous. Sean was working a split and stopped at Costco to get up a bunch of 2-3 pt. snacks. You would be surprised at how Weight Watcher friendly Costco is. A tun of the food has the PointsPlus system labeled right on their products. This comes in very helpful! He bought a case of Yoplait Yogurt. They are worth only 2 pts. a serving. He also bought a huge bag of Spinach, which is 0 pts. For lunch he made me a ham and spinach egg white omelet. (1 oz of cooked, lean ham-1pt, 3 egg whites-1pt and 1/2 cup of cooked spinach-0pts.) It was delicious and only 2pts. He also toasted 1 slice of whole grain bread with nothing on it-3pts. I had 1 container of yogurt too-2pts. I was actually pretty full for about 2 hours. But then the hunger creeps back up. As a snack, I ate another banana, an apple and kiwifruit. Not all at once of course, but all were worth 0 pts. so it was all good.

By dinner time, I had 11 pts left. Sean stocked up on those nasty LeanCuisine meals. My parents use to buy them when I was a kid and I hated them. It was like eating cardboard. But a lot of people at his work swore they were really good now, and perfect for Weight Watchers. So he bought a few. Most of the meals are 7-9pts and fill you up pretty well. Tonight I had Casual Cuisine Philly-style Steak and Cheese Panini. It's only half a sandwich, but it was really good for 8 pts. I ate an orange after because I was still a bit hungry. (I also cheated a bit too, the kids were having Costco Rotisserie Chicken and I can't resist that, so I nibbled on about a half oz. and sacrificed a point.)

It's now almost 10pm and I have 2 pts. left. I don't feel hungry, which is a good thing, I guess. We have the new Weight Watchers Vanilla Fudge Swirl ice cream cones, worth 2pts. So that will be my dessert! All in all, not a bad first day. I have some learning to do. I need to find better ways to fill myself up in the mornings. Drinking a tun of water helps, but it's not perfect. If anyone is on this diet and can lend some pointers, please do so!

Have a great night/day!
God Bless!
 

5 comments:

  1. Way to go Arley!! I have lots more to lose than you (like 60 lbs to lose) but I love Weight Watchers!! You will learn to make things that fill you up and that don't take as many points, like have half a Sam's Club muffin--have things you like, but maybe just not as much. it's the hardest the first few days, then it will be fine. Pickles are great, and like you said, veggies!!!

    When I'm done pumping, I'm going back on the plan...I know the points, so I won't need to join online.

    keep it up--remember that when you exercise, you get more points to use--use them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say that smoothies for Breakfast are great low point options and they fill you up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DONT even tell me what the points are for milk chocolate..lalalalalal..covering my ears!

    love all the christmas photos also.

    My boys were into super hero stuff just like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie Jo- It was hard the first day, but Sean made me a great omelet with spinach and cooked, lean ham that was only 2 pts. I ate a banana and yogurt, which was only 2 pts. I was full until 1pm. So I ate a Lean Cuisine chicken pecan meal that was 9 pts. and an apple. Only used 13 pts. so far today!

    I have a smoothie cookbook, I should use it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine- 1 cup of low fat chocolate milk is only 4 pts. Not too bad!

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to read comments. Please keep them tasteful as I will not allow insults to myself or others! God Bless!