JellyPages.com

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sammy has Chicken Pox

And it begins....I was so hoping we would get away without any of the kids getting "sicken pox" (Mary can't pronounce chicken) but Sam ended up with it. Declan brought him down yesterday morning with spots on his face, neck, chest and back. Today, they are all over him, with little to none on his arms and legs. It's only day two though. He seems to be doing just find. He's his normal self, just with little spots and blisters all over him. The other kids are totally grossed out by him and won't even go near him. Poor little guy doesn't understand why no one will play with him.

My friend Jamie Jo suggested I have a "sucker party" letting them all share suckers, but non of them want any part of that. They see Sam and DO NOT want to catch the little red bumps. I tried to explain to them that it was inevitable, but they were having none of it. I would prefer we just get this over with. It's already been a month with Sean and the shingles. Now we have to be quarantined for yet another month, waiting for them to all catch it. Oh, and lets not forget the two weeks they actually have it, so that means being locked in this house for another month and a half. Shoot me now!!!!

His back
 

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Arley--I think you misunderstood me, or I typed it wrong--suckers did not work. What spread it was just being around eachother. My kids spread it among eachother easily. But people who came to just suck suckers did not get it, only the families who stayed to play got the chicken pox. Funny how that works.

    I found they only, if anything, got a low fever, but only for a day or so...keep telling him to not itch....if they itch, they will scar....so my kids said if you itch you'll have chicken pox forever!!!

    If I were you, I'd hope they all get it right away, otherwise with this many kids, this could go on for weeks....have them take baths together! :)

    Chicken pox has an incubation period of 14 days I think, so in that 14 days they are not contagious, and once Sammy's have scabbed over, his are not contagious either, so maybe your "stay home" time will not be so long?

    Dont' forget to use calamine lotion, all over, helps with the itchies....

    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie- I did see that actually. All the websites say you spread them by coughing or sneezing around each other. Coming in contact with the sores as well. The problem is, my kids DON'T want to catch them. They won't got within 10 feet of poor Sammy. I really don't want this to be drawn out for months. As it is, my parents had to cancel their trip here because my Dad never got chicken pox as a child and he is now 80 something. Would not be good if he caught them.

      Delete
    2. When does it itching start? Sam seems to be doing just find, not scratching at all? I have a bottle of Calamine left over from Sean, that will come in handy I guess. I was 12 when I had them. I remember being miserable. They really hurt and I had a bad fever. Had to go to the Dr. Seems the older you get, the worse they are. JOY!!!

      Delete
    3. Gosh, I hope your other kiddos get them soon...If he is not itching...then great!! I don't think my 3 year old itched that much either...I think when they are little, it's so much easier than when they are older. (I was 4 when I got them and I had a ton and they itched alot!)

      Delete
  2. Oh man. That stinks! My brother and I had it (he was quite young!) My memory of it was FUN! LOL! I got to stay home from school for a week and build forts with blankets and the furniture (this was supposedly so I would stay away from my brother, but it didn't work and he got them.) Good luck!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to read comments. Please keep them tasteful as I will not allow insults to myself or others! God Bless!